Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Unconventional Sources




I chose to narrate Linda Broadkey's "Writing on the Bias," because I found her prose to be unusual, though lovely.  I found myself having to read through some sentences more than once, because it didn't look the way I expected it to look.  In the piece, Broadkey writes about how she labors over her prose.  There were times I too labored over the prose while narrating it, but it sounded more conversational (and less academic) as I spoke the words aloud than they seemed when I was reading silently.

Below is what I initially wrote for my first blog entry, before deciding that introductions were in order.  I wrote it on a ship with no internet access, and found the process of handwriting a blog kind of liberating, I didn't second-guess myself as much .  This reading response captures my visceral, freshly-read reaction to the piece I narrated in the excerpt that I accented with an old film reel that shows you how to sew a dress from a simplicity pattern.  I hope you can read my (slightly) sea-sick handwriting and enjoy the video.















No comments:

Post a Comment