Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Publicly Private

For as long as I can remember, I've found it difficult to define myself with much intention.  I grow attached to descriptive language that defines characteristics I'd like to have--like sincere and attentive--then try to act in a way that reflects these characteristics, which I have done with varying levels of success.  The problem I run into is that words alone are an abstract concept.  I can't see any evidence of growth in a linear sense, and neither can anyone else because it's almost always been a private, internal process for me.

This blog is my attempt to nurture the growth of a new part of myself, and share that growth with an audience (if you'll have me).  I want to be an audiobook narrator.  I'm thirty, and most career paths I've had have been pursued on a whim.  I don't regret these, some of my best decisions have been made on a whim.  But I think it's time to try something different.  I've listened to hours and hours of audiobooks in the last year, and have been able to get through books that would've felt way over my head had I sat down with a regular book.  I think, when I'm stationary, a million snooze alarms go off in my head for overdue tasks I "should" be doing.  That word gets in my way a lot.  But when I'm moving around, busy attending to one of those "should's" my mind is free to engage with the ideas that present.  Audiobooks have been the perfect vehicle to lose myself in, to tool around in someone else's mind for a spell while I do suburban housewife things.  I've only found one book that didn't work for me.  If there's a woman alive who can contentedly fold the laundry while listening to 'The Feminine Mystique' I'd like to meet her.

So, in order to nurture this growth I'm going to post, narrate, and review various pieces of literature. Some I will have written, most are probably written by someone with a more intentional career path.  The pieces I write will share life experiences that are brought to mind by the act of reading someone else's work, so I get to play show-and-tell with my brand new identity.  I hope, reader, that you are as into literature and storytelling as I am.  I hope this blog attracts readers and writers with as many different perspectives as possible, so I can learn from your experiences as well as my own.








2 comments:

  1. Very lovely, Courtney! I've read (and written) lots of "This blog is about..." posts, and I think this one is one of the best. As a reader, I know who you are (but you haven't poured your whole life story on me), I know what you want to achieve (and it sounds unique yet possible), and I know that you genuinely want to share it with your audience.
    My question would be this: how can you make your audience want to respond? There isn't a lot for me to question/discuss here, because you're primarily talking about your personal goals. It might help if you asked people what they think of audiobooks, who's voices they like, etc. Something that makes the reader instantly think of *their* opinion, and want to share it.
    I also love the title of the blog! If you decide to share recordings of your voice via YouTube/Podcasts, I think it'd be an awesome username to stick with! I did notice that there was no title for this post. Titles aren't essential to the posts themselves, really, but it helps if a reader wants to browse your archives :)
    I think this is such an amazing ambition! I have recently discovered audio books myself, and I always wondered what it would be like to actually be the narrator. I'm looking forward to learning what you learn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney,

    I am so excited about this project! I would ABSOLUTELY listen to an audiobook you narrated. Your first entry here I think does a beautiful job of describing the project. And for something like this, I do think that's really necessary and it also engages your reader as your sort of invite them onto this journey with you.

    The post made me laugh at loud with your comment on the laundry and The Feminine Mystique. I think the language you've used throughout feels authentically "you," it reflects the thoughtful, poetic, witty, and intelligent person that I know. In particular, I liked "show- and-tell with my identity" and the last paragraph which made very clear your intentions. Some questions I had were how this post might be different with a title (something to think about). I also felt like the first paragraph was a bit more opaque than the rest of the entry. This doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it and actually I felt like I really understood what you were saying, but I wonder if you were more specific (like give an example of one of those many descriptors we assign ourselves and how the "growth" you feel internally isn't necessarily seen on the outside) if that might allow you to do a bit more with that illustration. Does that make sense?

    I am looking forward to following this blog very much.:)

    Cheers,
    Alexis

    ReplyDelete